Nothing cures the sniffles better than a delicious bowl of home cooked soup. Imagine my delight when my 14 year old who was a bit under the weather sampled this soup and exclaimed “Mom this soup is so good!” and promptly asked for a second serving.
I was please to see a flush of color return to her cheeks as she seemed to regain a little energy.
This delicious soup is filled with health boosting nutrients and wonderfully soothing when you’re craving some of that good old comfort food.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 large carrots
- 1 rutabaga
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 head kale
- 6 to 8 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a soup pot over high heat.
- Add olive oil and heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for one minute
- Cut vegetables into large cubes and add all except kale to pot.
- Sauté for a few minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add broth, kale torn into pieces and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes to half an hour, until vegetables are really tender.
- Puré about two thirds of soup in blender. Do this in batches if needed.
- Return to pot and mix well with the rest of the soup.
- Add fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with fresh sage or garnish of your choice.