There are so many things I love about spending time with my sister and discovering some of her wonderful culinary creations is one of them.
Pears poached in red wine with a delightful blend of spices make this salad truly scrumptious. And since it is part of her Bikini Body Boot Camp recipes so you can enjoy it knowing it’s as good for you as it is to savor.
- 2-3 firm pears ( Bosc or Red Anjou), halved
- 1 bottle of red wine- I prefer a spanish red or Shiraz
- 1 tsp cloves
- 4 cups Spring Mix
- 2 cups Arugula
- ¼ c Balsamic vinegar
- ½ c Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 TBS Dijon Mustard
- ¼ c. Goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ c. pecans or walnuts
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 small smoked duck breasts, thinly sliced- Optional
- Peel pears and cut in half. Remove pit and seeds.
- Place hollow side down in a pan and pour red wine to cover completely.
- Add cloves and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, making sure hey remain covered. Remove from heat and let them cool down. I like to make this the night before.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar,1/4 c. red wine from pears, and mustard.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix lettuces and arrange on a large dish.
- Slice pears and arrange on lettuce. If using duck, alternate duck/pear.
- Sprinkle goat chees and walnuts and drizzle the vinaigrette