One of my favorite foods growing up was mom’s raw beets salad. It was super simple and absolutely delicious! She simply grated the beets, tossed them in a red wine vinaigrette and served then to us chilled as an appetizer or a simple and nutritious snack. It remains a favorite dish of mine to this day 🙂
Raw beets are a a wonderful food rich in antioxidants, something I did not know growing up but appreciate today. Their gorgeous color comes from betalain, a food pigment that has been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. In recent studies betalain has also been shown to be effective in slowing down the growth of certain tumors, including those in breast cancer, and has inspired further study of this delicious food.
When selecting your beets make sure they are firm with no soft spots. And make sure to keep your beet greens. They are loaded with healthy nutrients and delicious tossed in a green salad or blended into a fresh juice with other lovely greens.
Although I seldom peel my vegetables, I do peel my beets as the skin is a little tough and holds on to little specs of dirt no matter how much I scrub. Prepare them as you prefer. There is no right or wrong way, just personal preference.
This recipe is a variation of mom’s original one. I added some pan roasted sunflower seeds for a little crunch and fresh parsley because I love it so much! And doesn’t it look beautiful?
You can enjoy this salad as soon as it is prepared or serve it chilled. Either way you’re sure to love it.
- 2 large raw beets, peeled
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- ¼ raw sunflower seeds
- red wine vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- place mustard, vinegar and oil in a mason jar, add fresh ground salt and pepper. Seal tightly and shake until well blended.
- For a creamier dressing use a blender and blend all ingredients for a few seconds.
- Grate the beets using a food processor fitted with a grating blade, a mandoline or hand grater.
- Place grated beets in a bowl.
- Chop parsley and add to beets
- Drizzle vinaigrette over beets and parsley and toss until fully coated.
- Heat skillet on medium high. Add raw sunflower seeds and roast for about two minutes, stirring frequently making sure seeds do not burn.
- Toss warm sunflower seeds on salad just before serving.
- Since my daughter announced that she wanted to become a vegan I have been having a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes. I'd always thought of a vegan diet as being pretty restrictive but I'm finding it a lot easier and more rewarding than I had imagined. I am enjoying…