Mardi Gras was always one of my favorite holidays when I was a little girl. We often were in either Switzerland or Austria, enjoying a ski holiday and everyone dressed up for that special day. And after a fun day on the slopes we enjoyed a full meal of crêpes! Savory crîepes followed by sweet ones for desert. Yum! Here’s a simple recipe with a few ideas to stuff your crêpes with. Bon apétit!
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs then add the milk and melted butter and combine. Stir in flour and salt and mix well. It's fine if you have a few lumps. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat a crêpe skillet if you have one. A regular 10inch skillet will do fine. Melt a little bit of butter to coat your pan.
- Pour batter onto hot skillet and spread evenly into a thin layer. Cook until edges turn slightly golden , about 1 minute, then flip. Cook for about an additional minute and voila!
For the filling:
You can fill your savory crepes with a variety of meats, cheeses and vegetables. Here are a few of our favorites:
French Ham and Cheese
Thinly slice the ham and warm quickly in a skillet. Place a crêpe in a warm skillet, add a small handful of shredded cheese, top with warm ham. Fold crêpe in half of thirds and warm through. Serve as is or topped with an egg sunny side up.
Prosciutto is another fabulous choice!
Sauté some thinly sliced mushrooms with minced garlic and parsley. Fill crêpe with mushrooms and enjoy.
Add some shredded or cubed chicken with shredded gruyere, or a warm bechamele for an even tastier treat
Thinly slice the smoked salmon. Place in warm crêpe with some fresh dill. Roll the crêpe and top with a spoonful of crême fraîche.
Don’t forget dessert!
For the crêpes:
- 2 eggs,
- 1 1/2 milk
- 1 tbsp melted raw organic butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour *
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsbp sugar (optional)
Desert crêpes are traditionally made with white flour. Since I eat gluten free I use Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, melted butter and vanilla extract and mix until combine. Add flour and sugar and mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour before use.
Some of our favorite ways to serve these:
Sprinkle with sugar
Fresh squeezed lemon or orange with a sprinkle of sugar
Stuffed with Nutella
Stuffed with braised apples and flambé with Calvados