Mom would always make pasta sauce from scratch and it was a family favorite. She added a glass of red wine which gives a wonderful, rich flavor and transforms a simple pasta sauce into a gourmet one. I make this often for the girls and they love it. I switch out the vegetables with whatever I have on hand so play around and use your favorites. Kale and spinach are great substitutes. Always use a good quality wine, it makes all the difference!
Since my oldest daughter does not eat meat, I cooke the turkey separately with garlic and onions, although I prefer cooking it all together so all the flavors are perfectly blended.
Serve with your favorite pasta. We use a gluten free option or my favorite: spaghetti squash sautéed with a little olive oil and garlic. Sinfully delicious!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 large organic zucchinis
- 1 small head organic broccoli
- 16 oz. organic stewed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp organic tomato purée
- ¼ dry good red wine (I use a Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 tbsp herbes de provences or fines herbes
- fresh ground celtic salt and black pepper to taste
- 1lb. ground turkey -- optional
- Heat skillet and add oil on high heat
- Coarsely chop onion.
- Wash zucchini and cut into cubes. Add onion and zucchini to skillet and sauté on high for 1 minute.
- Wash and cube broccoli stem and florets. Add to skillet and sauté 1 minute
- If you are using turkey add turkey and brown.
- Reduce heat and cook vegetables until tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until flavors are nicely blended and you have a rich, thick sauce.
- Pour over your favorite pasta or sautéed spaghetti squash and enjoy!