I love quiche! It’s a wonderful complete meal that is easy to make and always a crowd pleaser. This smoked salmon and zucchini version is a family favorite and enjoyed just as much as a cold lunch the next day by my three little princesses.
Buckwheat adds a hardy flavor to an already wonderful dish and makes me happy as it is an easy gluten free crust.
Quiche is a fabulous lunch box option. It combines all the healthy nutrients your children need for energy and focus and needs no heating up. Pack it along with a mixed salad or caprese for a delicious and nutritious school lunch.
- 11/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅓ cup butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cold water.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large zucchinis
- 8 oz. Alaska wild caught smoked salmon
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 5 eggs
- 4 oz creme fraiche
- 8 oz milk
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provence
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, chia seeds and salt. Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the mixture and gently toss with a fork. Continue until all is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- To make the crust in a blender: place flour, chia seeds, salt and butter in the bowl of your blender. Pulse until coarse meal is formed. Add water 1 tablespoon at the time while blending continuously until dough forms a ball.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Roll out dough and place in 9 inch pie dish.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add zucchini and garlic and sauté until zucchini is tender.
- Cut salmon in bite size pieces and add to zucchini. Sauté for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and arrange on crust. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- In a mixing beat eggs until frothy. Add crême fraîche and milk, herbes de Provence and salt and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over zucchini and salmon.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. This quiche is just as delicious served cold the next day.
- Bon Appétit
- Capture the sweetness of summer with these delicious gluten free buckwheat and nectarine pancakes. The buckwheat flour gives a delightfully hearty flavor that brings out the sweetness in the nectarines. Nectarines have a nice firm texture that lends itself well to cooking, enhancing the sweetness of the fruit as it caramelizes slightly.…