Quiche is a staple food in our family and I love coming up with all sorts of variations to this simple, tasty and healthy meal.
This spinach and zucchini quiche is a favorite with my girls, and a fantastic way to get your little ones to eat their greens. Spinach and zucchini blend beautifully and are generally tolerated by children of all ages. Add a little fresh garlic and some fresh mozzarella and you’ve got a scrumptious balanced meal that is simply irresistible 🙂
One of the best things about quiche is that it is just as delicious cold as it is hot, and makes for a wonderful lunch the next day, so you have one less meal to worry about!
Because I have a gluten sensitivity I use a gluten free flour, such as Bob Red Mill’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, or a more nutty buckwheat flour.
- 1¼ cip flour
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal, raw flax seeds, chia or hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large zucchinis
- 8 cloves garlic
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- 4 to 6 oz fresh mozzarella
- 5 eggs
- 4 oz crême fraiche or sour cream
- 8 oz milk
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provence
- Fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, flaxseed meal and salt.
- Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the mixture and gently toss with a fork.
- Continue until all is moistened.
- Form dough in to a ball.
- Flatten with hands on a floured surface.
- Roll out dough into a 12 inch diameter circle.
- Wrap dough around the rolling pin and ease into a 9 inch pie plate. Trim excess or fold edges under and flute with your finger tip and thumb.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add zucchini and sauté for 1 minute. Reduce heat, add garlic and cook until almost tender.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until frothy.
- Add crême fraîche and milk and blend thoroughly.
- Add herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour over vegetables and cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until quiche is set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy on it's own or alongside a simple green salad
Food processor method for the crust.
A food processor makes preparing the dough for the crust super easy and fast.
Place flour, flaxseed meal, salt and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Add water 1 tbsp at a time and process until dough forms into a ball.
Love this quiche?
You’ll find this recipe and many more in my recipe book Simply Scrumptious Recipes, Quiches and Salads available on Amazon Kindle!