Spring is the perfect season for fresh asparagus. This delicious soup beautifully pairs the delicate flavor of asparagus with fragrant tarragon for a truly scrumptious soup.
- 2½ pounds fresh asparagus spears
- 1¼ cup dry Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1½ tbsp fresh tarragon, minced or 2 tsp dried
- ¼ cup raw butter
- ¼ cup gluten free flour -- I use Bob Red Mill's all purpose gluten free flour or amaranth
- 3½ cup organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 2½ cups milk -- for a dairy free option use your favorite nut milk
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- tarragon spears for garnish
- Steam asparagus spears until tender.
- Place in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until a nice purée is formed, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside for later use.
- In a small saucepan combine wine, half of the tarragon with the freshly ground salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until wine is reduced to ¼ cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add flour stirring constantly and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute to obtain a "roux", a thick paste.
- Gradually add chicken or vegetable broth, stirring constantly until well blended.
- Add asparagus purée, reduced wine mixture, milk and remaining tarragon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh tarragon sprigs for garnish.