Isn’t this soup absolutely gorgeous?
The perfect soup to serve on St Patrick’s day it will delight family and friends any day.
And it is just as delicious as it looks!
A raw soup made with cucumber, watercress, zucchini, avocado and cilantro, it is easy on the palette and delightfulA delightly refreshing. It’s a wonderful way to start your meal or enjoy on it’s own if you are following a raw food diet.
Watercress is a wonderful nutritious herb with a slightly peppery taste that is completed beautifully by the cucumber. The avocado adds a little body and wonderfully creamy texture.
I made the soup with water to keep the flavor profile pure but you can use a vegetable broth instead for added nutrition and a little boost of flavor. Just know that the ingredients in your vegetable broth will impact the flavor of this soup to some degree.
Since this is a raw soup it takes only minutes to make and is best enjoyed chilled within an hour or so of being made.
You’ll want to press this soup through a cheesecloth or sieve to remove the cucumber and zucchini seeds for a smooth finish. The finer the sieve the smoother your broth. If you don’t have either of these on hand no worry. I ended up improvising using a strainer lined with a couple layers of tule and it worked beautifully 🙂
- 2 cups water
- juice of ½ lime (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 English cucumbers (about 4 cups cubed)
- 1 large zucchini, (about 1.5 cups cubed)
- 1½ bunches watercress, stems removed (about 1½ cups packed)
- one generous handful fresh cilantro
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed
- ¾ salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- watercress and cilantro for garnish
- Cube cucumber and zucchini and place in blender with 1½ cups of watercress, fresh cilantro, water, lime juice and salt.
- Blend until a smooth purée is obtained.
- Press purée through a couple layers of cheesecloth or sieve to remove seeds and get a beautiful vibrant green broth.
- Return to blender.
- Mash avocado with a fork and add to broth.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass bowl and chill for half an hour to 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh cracked pepper and a sprinkle of watercress and cilantro leaves